Challenges, technologies and premium to produce greener steel
This year, more than 100 industry professionals from different countries - India, Korea, Latin America, Turkey, Europe, United Kingdom, USA – joined together to exchange on steel industry’s hot topics, such as:
- Hydrogen usage on heat treatment furnaces and annealing lines
- Environmental impact of material choice in the automotive industry
- Electrical lines for steel processing
- Effect of rapid annealing on microstructure and properties
- Key technologies for NGO steel grade for EV motors
“The demand for low-carbon steel production is rising and it’s expected to grow significantly in the coming years. Steel customers, including automotive manufacturers and construction companies, require low CO2 steel to meet their decarbonization targets. There will likely be a period where the supply of low CO2 steel cannot fully meet the demand, resulting in a green premium,” emphasizes Dirk Durinck, Senior Expert from McKinsey & Company, who joined the Tech Webinar as a guest speaker.
“It was a great opportunity to hear from different experts and to get involved in various discussions on strategies for carbon footprint reduction and energy saving, a hot topic across the world. To reach the goal, it’s important to understand which technologies can be more advantageous on our road to decarbonization to produce more sustainable steel for a better world,” says Valéria Monteiro, Process Engineer from Aperam South America.
The experts at Fives have been providing process expertise and energy-saving digital solutions to achieve high quality and lower cost of operation:
- Intelligent quality management systems
- Automatic strip processing line control based on predictive modeling
- New generation combustion systems with hydrogen usage
- Strip processing lines electrification
- Smart monitoring