Alba & Fives, a Long-Term Partnership
As part of its Line 6 Expansion Project, Aluminium Bahrain B.S.C. (Alba) and Bechtel, acting as EPCM, have awarded Fives Solios three contracts, on a turnkey basis, for a Green Anode Plant, two Gas Treatment Centers and twelve Pot Tending Machines.
Fives’ ability to provide high performing technological solutions, combined with a strong expertise in managing large international contracts, led Fives to obtain these major contracts.
This new line, which will produce 540,000 tons of aluminium per year, consists of a reduction line of 424 pots based on Dubal DX+ Ultra technology aiming at optimizing costs and performance while improving energy efficiency and minimizing environmental impact. It will be part of the largest single site smelter in the world and will bring Alba’s total production capacity to 1,500,000 metric tons per year upon the full ramp-up of Line 6.
The 55 tph Green Anode Plant will be equipped with Fives’ latest innovations:
- Rhodax®4D for dry material preparation
- Xelios 2.0 fitted with Dynpac for increased performance: better anode quality (high density and low standard deviations) and higher availability. A new transfer hopper with top cover and fume collector allows for capturing fume and reducing the level of noise.
- IMC® (Intensive Mixing Cascade) with new mixers
- Amelios, an advanced process control package combining a user-friendly performance analysis tool with green anode vision and enhanced ultrafine control.
Fives’ Green Anode Plants provide enhanced capacity and performance while complying with high standards in terms of health, safety, and environment protection. Some tie-in constraints in terms of safety during construction had to be taken into consideration since this new line will be integrated into the existing building and the paste plant will continue to operate.
The Gas Treatment Centers (GTC) will be fitted with:
- Ozeos, the state-of-the-art large-capacity and compact-footprint filter, which was granted the Fives Engineering Sustainability brand in 2014.
- Cascade Alumina Feeding system for an optimum distribution of alumina to reduce GTC emissions
The combination of Ozeos filters with the Cascade Alumina Feeding system allows for HF emission reduction up to 35 %, and for an easy access and low maintenance costs. The contract also includes the complete Alumina and Material Transport Systems, from fresh alumina supply to fluorinated alumina pot feeding.
Fives' ultimate GTC technologies allow for capturing over 99.5% of the alumina and fluorides emitted at the pots and for recycling them to the electrolysis process, thus optimizing plant operation.
The ECLTM Pot Tending Machines (PTM) will be fitted with:
- A new rotating cabin device for better visibility when performing electrolysis pot operations
- CANDI® 4.0, the most advanced electrical insulation monitoring system to ensure operation safety and insulation default diagnostics.
The contract also includes a Driving Simulator for operator training, the anode connection assemblies, the retractable bumpers and mobile hoppers for bath.
The latest generation of ECLTM Pot Tending Machines offer numerous advantages: increased performance, a faster installation time, higher productivity and flexibility, increased availability rate and enhanced safety.
To perfectly meet the construction timing in such a congested areas, Fives has proposed a lay-down area dedicated to GTC module pre-assembly, as already experienced on both Alcoa Fjardaal (Iceland) and Ma’aden Alcoa Aluminium (Saudi Arabia) sites. For the first time, Pot Tending Machines will be delivered on site completely assembled.
Fives has been being a major supplier of Alba since the origin of the smelter, and has already supplied many installations in Carbon, Reduction and Casthouse sectors as part of the successive lines construction.
These new contracts confirm once again that Fives’ solutions are state-of-the art technologies in the market.